To me, the best part of the pie is the crust…the buttery, flaky, crust. I hope you enjoy the recipe below!
I serve this with Mascarpone Whipped Cream and sprinkled with flavored sea salt.
- Pie crust (Select the link for my pie crust, use your own, or buy it at the grocery store), have two crusts, one for the bottom the other for the top
- 3 apples, skinned then thinly sliced
- 2 pears, skinned then thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Spices, I didn’t measure this I just threw in what I thought would be good:
- Vanilla paste
- Ginger, grated
- 1 egg, scrambled in a bowl to use as egg wash
- Set oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- I start with slicing the apples, pears, then I toss it with lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
- On the stove combine the butter, water, sugars, flour, and spices and cook to combine.
- Pour the liquid over the fruit mix and toss to coat.
- Roll out one of the pie shells and arrange it into a pie pan, I use a glass one. Ideally, you’d like the pie crust to hang over the edge.
- Add the fruit mix and arrange in the shell.
- Add the second pie shell on top. Be creative with this, do a lattice top or a design, either way, make sure to create some kind of venting, whether it’s just holes or slits so that your pie crust doesn’t crack on top.
- Brush egg wash on top of the crust to make the pie shiny and golden or brown.
- Put the pie in the oven at 425 for 15-20 minutes, then drop the temperature down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for another 45-50 minutes.