Do you like cream puffs? I do…are they hard to make? Not exactly, but it can be a little tricky if you aren’t fast. I am going to share with you what no one shared with me the first two times I made it. The filling was shared with me by a friend in my writing class who is a pastry chef and it is sooooo yummy!
I also want to make a note about vanilla paste instead of extract. I have a bit of a love affair with vanilla paste. Why do I like this so much better? I think the vanilla paste has a better flavor, it tastes less like alcohol.
Pate Choux (I call them puffs in the direction)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract/paste
Mascarpone Cheese Filling
To make this, combine all the ingredients and let it go in your mixer (I use a whisk attachment, but you can use a paddle) at medium-fast speed for about 3 minutes. You don’t want to beat it for too long and turn it into butter.
- 2 cup mascarpone
- 1 cup powdered sugar (she uses 1.25 cups, but I feel like that’s too sweet)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla/paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heat butter and water to a rolling boil
- Add the salt and flour until it is all mixed and absorbed
- Put dough mixture into a mixing bowl (I put mine into my kitchen aid stand mixer bowl) and let this cool, I usually wait about 15 minutes
- Use paddle attachment and beat the flour mixture, add vanilla paste, beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each
- When the dough is thoroughly mixed and sticky add spoonfuls to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper
- Bake for 20 minutes, ***poke a hole using a toothpick or knife to the side or the top of the puff you need the puff to let out steam or it will collapse when you take it out***
- Bake for another 3-5 minutes
- Let puffs cool then cut in half or pipe in the cream. ENJOY! So excited for you to try!
oh man, I definitely need to eat this! This looks so so good!!! I have the biggest sweet tooth ever.
I was wondering if you were on FB at all? It would be amazing if you could share your recipe in our group, would love for you to join our community of food lovers! Check us out here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OnlyGoodEats/
LikeLiked by 1 person
awesome! Let me know when you join in, would love to add you into it 🙂
I joined yesterday. I’ll post something soon.